Tuesday 31 May 2011

Orissa IT minister sails through with first division


Information technology and fisheries minister  who had failed to clear the Plus-II science examination in 1995, passed the Plus-II arts examination this year with flying colours this year. Majhi secured around 63 per cent marks, an improvement over his matriculation in 1993 when he had got a second division. 

"I had done well in the examination and was hoping for a first division," the minister said, attributing the good result to his own hard work and determination. "I was studying for over three hours daily," the minister added. 

"It was a moment of joy for all in the family. I called my wife, who is in Nabarangpur, to break the news. She was elated," the minister said as he celebrated his success by distributing sweets among friends and well-wishers here. 

The minister, who appeared in the higher secondary examination at the Panabeda College in his home district of Nabarangpur as a private candidate, said: "I was under tremendous scrutiny as an examinee because of being a minister. The observation squads were coming to the examination centre frequently." 

The Jharigam MLA, who had opted for history, political science and economics as his core subjects, secured 376 out of 600 marks. 

Majhi was allotted a separate room for the examination held in March. "My presence in a common examination hall could have intimidated other candidates. Besides, I was sick during that time," he said. 

The two-time MLA who was initially hesitant for sitting in the examination fearing people's reaction has now decided to complete his graduation. "After becoming a minister, I have been seriously thinking of becoming at least a graduate. The first hurdle has been cleared. I will join in graduation. If I complete my graduation then undoubtedly I will go for a law degree," said the minister, whose father was a post-graduate and wife is a graduate. 

"I will decide on a college and subjects for graduation soon. I will keep political science as a core subject," he said. "I believe there is no age-limit for study. Anyone can study at anytime and I am very young," he said. 

After his matriculation from a Bhubaneswar school, Majhi joined Plus-II science in Biju Patnaik College in Bhubaneswar, but could not clear the examination in 1995. He joined politics in 1997 when he was 19 years old and was elected panchayat samiti member of Dhodipani gram panchayat under . He had represented Dabugam constituency from 2004 to 2009. 

"I have a long career in politics ahead and education will surely strengthen my political career," said Majhi, whose late father was a minister in the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment